Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Entry for February 6, 2008

Well, I finally finished my book for Ella.  I got the last three pictures done.  I am not totally satisfied with the “V” picture but Ella was *finished*.  I sent the photos away to be printed today as well.  I can’t wait for my beautiful 8”x8” hardbound book to arrive next week!  I also printed all the pictures myself on my home photo printer.  I am going to laminate them and bind them myself for a “diaper-bag Book” so she can have one that I am not going to worry about her messing around with.   I really wanted to start my next project yesterday as well, but Ella wanted nothing to do with it so we will have to wait until she is ready to be in front of the camera again.


 VsmallLsmallYsmallcoversmall


 


In business news, I have just booked a session for this Saturday on the Oakwood college campus.  I am very excited to go up there since I have heard that it is absolutely gorgeous!  Apparently there is a waterfall there where we will be shooting and I can’t wait to check it out.  It has been a while since I have done an outdoors session and I am so glad that the weather is warming up again and people are ready to start poking their heads out into the sunshine.  Now I have to start praying for no rain this weekend!


 


Now it is time for your photo tip!


Look for “catch lights”. 


A catch light is a sign that you have adequate light in your subject’s eyes.  An eye without a catch light looks dull and dark.  The same eyes with a good catch light are bright and full of color.  A good way to get catch lights is to have the subjects face looking up at you with your light source, (probably the sun) slightly off to the side.  Look for catch lights in people’s eyes as you talk to them.  You can see how they change as their heads move.  The “best” placement for your catch light is on the iris at about 10 or 2 o’clock.  A good catch light will be relatively large as well.  The catch lights caused by on camera flashes are called “pin lights” because they are so small. Pin lights are considered unattractive by most photographers and are avoided if possible.  Avoid using your on camera flash when possible, this not only eliminates pin lights, but red eye as well! 


Examples:


pinlightfinishedno catchlight_finishedgoodcatchlight1finishedgoodcatchlight2finished

No comments:

Post a Comment